Friday, June 17, 2022

June Reading Haul

 Hi! Everyone,

The start of the summer has been crazily busy between working summer jobs and tending to a vegetable garden. I am pleased to announce that I have baby tomatoes and banana peppers. There is something special about growing your own food. 


With the heat and the humidity going on overdrive, I want to curl up in a chair and read the day away, just like I use to before responsibilities have overtaken my life. Summer has always been my favorite time of the year to read mysteries. While gardening and doing chores around the house I have listened to audiobooks to help give me the motivation to complete the chores. The listening app that I use is Libby. Libby is a free app that you connect with your library card. 
June Readings:
Who doesn't like a little murder and mystery? 
Victoria Hamilton Vintage Kitchen Mystery. What's better than a little mystery, cooking, and antiques. Jaymie Leighton has a knack for finding vintage kitchen items and dead bodies. I listened to this using Libby. The voice acting was really good. I always wished I had their talent. So far in this series, I have finished the first book in the series and the ninth book. This is a series that if you don't necessarily have to read them in order. 
Imposter Syndrome by Kathy Wang. I have a confession regarding this book. When I requested this book back in February (there was a long wait for it) I had thought it was a book about the Imposter Syndrome, not a fictional story. This is a case where I had not read the synopsis on it but just assumed it was about an actual syndrome. Julie Lerner is a Russian Spy that has been transplanted into a popular American business called Tangerine. This ended up being an interesting read as the story intertwined the different lives of Julie, her handler, and an employee of Tangerine. 




I love local bookstores, especially ones that have a gently used section.  In my area, we have a bookstore called HalfPrice Bookstores. https://hpb.com/home?&size=25&#product-panel-home  They buy and sell books. On my last visit, I found a copy of Emily Dickinson Poetry. 

 This is one of my favorite cover art. Simple but just so pretty and intricate. I am new to reading poetry but finding that I have a love of Emily Dickinson. 

Pango Books is an app that I used occasionally when I am looking for a book that is hard to find. My reading group is currently reading Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery. The Blue Castle is a 1926 novel. The story is set in the 1920s in the fictional town of Deerwood, located in the Muskoka region of Ontario Canada. I am looking forward to starting this just so that I can step back in time. 
Books can send us on a vacation that we desperately need even when our wallets and the high gas prices say otherwise. If funds are tight remember that libraries are free to borrow from and cool in the summer heat. 

Warmest Wishes,
Armarius

No comments:

Post a Comment

June Reading Haul

 Hi! Everyone, The start of the summer has been crazily busy between working summer jobs and tending to a vegetable garden. I am pleased to ...