Friday, December 31, 2021

The Book Charmer Review Part One


 Happy New Year's Eve my bookish friends,

    Hopefully, this New Year brings a treasure trove of new books into your lives. A few days ago I posted on a Facebook group that is dedicated to the avid reader. I explained to them about my blog and my search for the authors that often are overlooked by the trendy authors that have hit their success. The number of responses and suggestions has been more than I could have ever hoped for. I now have enough authors and books to hope to give them a spotlight. If I don't particularly like a book I encourage you to still read it and decide for yourself because these reviews will be based solely on my opinion if it is fiction and if it is nonfiction the authenticity of historical reference. 

Stop Possible Spoilers Alert:

    Now to the good stuff diving into the world of the Book Charmer. This was written by Karen Hawkins and published in 2019 by Gallery Books, New York, NY.  This has 344 pages of story with a nice added addition of a book club guide in the back. I always appreciate these guided questions even though I have never belonged to a book club before. Also, this is the first book of a series and the second book has also been released, Cup of Silver Linings.

    The book's main setting is in the lovely town of Dove Pond, North Carolina. The story starts in the year 2001 but does catch up to the present day. There are three main characters Sarah Dove, Grace Wheeler, and Travis Parker that the story is focused on with plenty of side characters. The side characters give the main characters a well-rounded and realistic feel to them. Each of the characters has past baggage and current issues that they are struggling with. The story touches on sensitive topics such as abandoned children, foster care, drug overdose, and Alzheimer's. 

    When I dived headfirst into this world of Dove Pond I had never heard of this author or story before. I had only discovered it by chance when browsing through my library's book club recommended reading list. One of these days I might actually attend one of the book club meetings but until then I am content with stalking them on their website. What attracted me to this book was the cover and title. The cover has a beautiful cover that would make any bookworm envy. Lol, the old saying is don't judge a book by its cover well I am glad that I have never listened to that advice when it comes to actual books. 

    I will dive further into the actual story in my next post but hopefully, this will give you the curiosity to run and grab this book. In the meantime, the author has a website https://karenhawkins.com/index.php that I would recommend if you want to be kept up with her books that are out and what will be published soon.

Happy New Year, 

Armarius


No comments:

Post a Comment

June Reading Haul

 Hi! Everyone, The start of the summer has been crazily busy between working summer jobs and tending to a vegetable garden. I am pleased to ...